lunes, 13 de octubre de 2014

FCE Writing Exam Vocabulary and Phrases.

Useful FCE Vocabulary and Phrases
Once again, there are some phrases that will make the FCE examiners happy:
Greetings: Dear Sir, Dear Madam, Dear Sir/Madam, Dear Mr/Mrs/Ms (Smith)
Reason for writing: I am writing with regard to … I am writing in reponse to …
Ending the letter: I look forward to …-ing, Yours faithfully (if you start with Dear Sir)… Yours sincerely (if you start with the name of the person. eg. Dear Mr. Thomas)
Here are a few phrases to use when you should write a complaint:
Reason for writing: I am writing in order to complain about…
Introducing first complaint: First of all, In the first place, The first problem is…, My first complaint is…, The first thing I would like to draw to your attention is…
Introducing further complaints: Not only… but also…, In addition (to this), The… was also unacceptable.
Demanding action: I suggest that you replace the item. I would be grateful if you could give me a refund.

Ending the letter: I look forward to hearing from you. I look forward to receiving your explanation. I look forward to receiving a full refund.

USEFUL LANGUAGE FOR FCE/CAE/CPE WRITING

Writing for FCE/CAE/CPE
Useful language
FORMAL LETTERS
Letters objecting to someone's plans
I am writing to express my concern /disappointment / alarm at hearing ...
I was extremely alarmed/sorry/distressed to hear about your plans to ...
As I think you know, …
May I point out that …
I feel I really must object to ...
I am extremely concerned at the thought that ...
It must be very clear that ...
If these proposals go ahead, ... will happen.
Another threat to ... , if these proposals go ahead, would come from ...
I dread to imagine what damage this will cause.
May I respectfully suggest that you ...
I was wondering if you had considered this alternative?
Would it not be possible to ... ?
Letters of complaint
I am writing to complain about ...
I am writing to tell you how disappointed/annoyed I feel about ...
I was amazed/distressed/horrified to find that ...
As you must realise, ...
I am sure you know that ...
I am sure you can imagine ...
I am sure you will appreciate that ...
It goes without saying that ...
At the very least, I look forward to receiving ...
Unless you ... , I am afraid that I will have to take this matter further.
Letters of recommendation
I am writing to you on behalf of ...
I have known X for ... years.
She / He has shown herself/himself to be extremely ...
X would seem to fit the requirements of this job perfectly.
I have no hesitation in recommending X as a ...
Letters to the editor
I am writing about the article on ... , which appeared (in last night's paper).
I am writing with reference to the article you published (in last month's issue).
I have just read your article on ... and I feel I must ...
You raised some issues which I feel strongly about.
At the start of your article, you appear to claim that ...
I am afraid I totally disagree.
I am completely in agreement.
I am sure readers will agree with me when I say that ...
ARTICLES
Sequencing
At first / To start with/In the beginning, ...
Then/Next/After that, ...
The next thing that happened was ...
The next thing I knew was ...
Seconds/Minutes later,
Late on/Some time later,
It wasn't until much later that ...
After some time/After what seemed like years, ...
Finally/In the end, ...
At last, ...
Simultaneous events
Meanwhile/In the meantime,
While all this was going on,
In the middle of all this, ...
During all this time, ...
Sudden or unexpected events
Suddenly/All of a sudden, ...
All at once, ...
Out of the blue, ...
Without any warning, ...
Just when I was least expecting it, ...
The next thing I knew was ...
Rapid events
As quick as a flash, ...
In the wink of an eye, ...
In a matter of seconds/minutes, ...
In no time at all, ...
Looking back
In retrospect, ...
When I think back to what happened then, ...
REPORTS
Introductory comments
I recently visited (the new Leisure Centre) and have prepared the following report for your consideration.
Further to my visit to ... , I have prepared the following report.
The following report relates to my recent visit to ...
General comments
On the whole, I found that ...
Although ... , I should point out that ...
It is a fact that ...
Concluding comments
All things considered, I believe that ...
Taking all these points into consideration, I would recommend ...
I recommend that we look into the possibility of ...
Comparing places or facilities
One of the main differences between X and Y is that …
X is completely/entirely/totally different from Y in that …
Unlike X, Y is ...
While/Whereas/Although X is ... , Y is ...
X is a little/slightly/somewhat/a great deal (bigger/more elegant than Y.
X is not quite/nearly as (comfortable/expensive/ convenient) as Y because ...
X is virtually/exactly the same as Y when it comes to ...
PROPOSALS
As requested, I am submitting the following proposal on ...
I recommend that we ...
I propose that we ...
We should also ...
I believe that ...
We could ...
It is a fact that , which means that ...
If we were to , it would ...
I suggest we… .We would then be able to ...
I feel strongly that we should ...
I trust you will give my proposal your full consideration.
REVIEWS
x has much to recommend it.
X is, at heart, a(n) love/spy/adventure story.
It is based on a book by ...
It is set in the countryside/the future.
The film has a quality cast.
The film was directed by ...
The film score is enchanting/evocative/scary.
The film captures the spirit of ...
The hero/heroine/villain is ...
I felt/thought it was …
I was impressed by …
What struck me most was ...
What I liked most/didn't like was ...
The plot was gripping.
The characters were very convincing/very well drawn.
On reflection, I think it was ...
It struck me as being ...
What I didn't understand was how ...
In spite of these few criticisms, I think ...
I would have no hesitation in recommending …


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario